Ummm I never guessed I would have been writing a post on chocolate!? But I’ve been feeling super inspired about bringing more balance into my life and as you likely know, I’m currently enrolled in nutrition school, but I never would have thought they would be telling me to eat more chocolate. Best day ever!
So at the beginning of the year, I was on a pretty hardcore diet up until about 2 weeks ago. I cut out all sugar and processed foods 100%. I honestly didn’t think I could do it, but my cravings just went away and I was feeling so good. But I was ready to bring my balance into my life. I saw myself going down a path that I promised myself I wouldn’t go down, which was ruining my relationship with food. I am the biggest proliferator of BALANCE.
If you know me at all, you know that I’m a chocolate addict. It’s literally been my biggest weakness for as long as I can remember. The title of this post is a bit misleading though. Chocolate itself is not actually a super food, it’s raw cacao that is the super food. Just to give you a few fun facts, according to IIN:
- It is listed as one of the top 10 super foods. It is also the #1 source for antioxidants (aka fights cancer and disease)
- Contains magnesium, iron, manganese, chromium
- Improves cardiovascular health
- Builds strong bones
- Natural aphrodisiac
- Elevates mood and energy
- Increases longevity
A few other fun facts that I learned today, as if you need another reason to eat more chocolate. Studies have shown the oldest women to live in the Western world (Jeanne Calment), who lived to be 122 years old, consumed wine, olive oil, and chocolate every day and she ate 1kg of chocolate per week. Chocolate is the #1 longevity food known.
Another fun one- “there is a famous “Dutch study,” which was done on regular processed chocolate, followed over 200 Dutch men over the course of twenty years and found that those who ate the most milk and dark chocolate had lower rates of all major diseases compared to those who ate little to no chocolate. The health benefits of chocolate were really emphasized in this study by the fact that there was no upper limit to how much chocolate could be consumed by these men. What they literally discovered was that the more chocolate you eat, the more your potential for human longevity increases!”
Chocolate cuts your risk of heart attack in half. There is no drug or no super food known that can do this. It cuts your risk of the #1 kill and heart disease in half. Crazy, huh!?
Okay, I’m sold. More chocolate for me, please! Here are my go-to chocolates sources:
- Eating evolved (found at Whole Foods or here, but a little bit cheaper here) – I love this one because it’s so clean and minimal (paleo and vegan), yet there are so many different options!
- Unreal (I’ve seen this at Target and Whole Foods or here) – if you want to swap out M&M’s or Reece’s, you have to try this. Honestly, it’s as close as you’re going to get.
- Barnana bites (Whole Foods and here, but cheapest here) – I personally love the peanut butter ones. This is so satisfying for when you need something sweet and salty.
- Simply Lite Milk Chocolate (at Trader Joe’s) – As much as I know that, cacao chocolate is best for me, sometimes I just want some milk chocolate and this is the perfect option! It still has 36% cacao, no sugar added, gluten free, and 2 grams of carbs per serving.
- Justin’s White Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups (Whole Foods and here, but cheapest here) – these are to die for. I swear I haven’t ate Reece’s since I discovered these.
Eat all the chocolate every day. 🙂 <3
Disclaimer: Eating loads of sugar is not good for you and it’s super addictive. Some of these products are better for you than others, so always check labels!